Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: SYLTERMERMAID- Where ?

2be opened this issue on Jan 20, 2008 · 99 posts

Stepdad posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 1:35 PM

Quote - Dee, WOW! That's quite an investment!! Good for you, though! :-)  And I sincerely agree with you about V4's seams. LOL.  Argh!

Stepdad, here's the thing.  What I think, and what you think about flooding or not flooding the market is totally irrelevant.  It's Renderosity's store, so love it or hate it, it's their choice.  And this is their decision and their policy.  We have to accept it or go elsewhere.  They're certainly not going to change policy just because someone asks.  Trust me on that one.  I've been in the trenches with them.  LOL. 

And like Kym said, you can use resources to create completely original characters.  But you can't put out several of them a week.  There is just not physically enough time to do it.  It's not an insult or meant as an insult.  It's just that regardless of how fast a person works, or how fast their machine is, it's still going to take a certain amount of time to put those pieces together.  Does it matter?  That's up to the vendor to decide when creating, and the customer to decide when purchasing.  Do they get sold here? That's up to Renderosity.  There are plenty of perfectly legal, legitimate, and worthwhile things we are not allowed to sell here, but are free to sell somewhere else.

Like I said before, my older characters use resource kits, my newer ones don't.  I felt that I could only go so far with the resource kits.  Beyond that, I was altering them so much that I decided there was no point in using the kit in the first place.  So I don't use them any more.  I have no problem saying I have characters that are still for sale that use resource kits.  But I don't feel like I have anything to gain from using them in the future, so I won't.

Ok, I lost where I was going with this... ROFL!   I'm sure I had a point when I started, but I can't remember what it was. :-P  Oh, well.  I've got mesh wrangling to do, anyway. 

Never wished to imply that Renderosity shouldn't be able to say and do what they wish for there own store, just not really certain why some people seem to take such an affront to the use of resource kits in making characters.

Now, for the record, I don't buy a lot of characters, in fact I think I've only ever found 1 I felt I really wanted to purchase and that was quite some time ago.  Not that folks don't do some outstanding work here, but most of what i do with Poser at least "professionally" doesn't really require them so I don't buy a lot of them, and on the rare occasion that I need one I generally put something together myself.  

If any artist floods the market with characters that are not unique, wholly originally and well done guess what?  Yes, they might have some initial success, they might even get a small "following" who really like what they do, but odds are good they won't get a lot of repeat business after a while.

Artists that do much higher quality work will - this was my point entirely.  So I for one think that the market should be allowed to sort itself out.  If the good folks at Rendo happen to have a different take?  No problem.. there website, there company.. there decision.  But I think in the long run the best arbiter of what is and is not good as far as products is concerned is the marketplace itself.  Just my opinion, naturally.