Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: So who is ready for A4.

Tashar59 opened this issue on Feb 01, 2008 · 66 posts

BastBlack posted Sat, 02 February 2008 at 11:06 PM

Quote - The trouble with male morphs for female bases is that no matter how well morphed, it never looks right. It took me a long to figure out why, then it occurred to me that the figure's proportions are still female.

For example. I like wide shoulders on my male figures, but the shoulders are too narrow for a female -to-male figure. It is unfixable because of the way the figure is rigged for a female.

QFT !     

All the Unimesh figures from Freak to the MillBaby are the exact same mesh.
BUT...all have a different shape (morph) AND a different rigging.

To get a truly different figure, you must change both: the rigging and the shape.
And that is exceptionally hard to do with V4.1 because her built in magnets are tied to her default shape.

That's why I have given up working with her, and that's why I won't have any need for A4.
I can morph a figure, I can re-rig a figure.
But unless there is an (easy) way to move V4.1's JSM magnets, we are stuck with her default "morphform" morphs, and all attempts to go beyond that (Like to create a  realistic male or a child), will be amateurish at best.

This is not just true for gender or age changing morphs, also very obese or very emacicated, or very tall or short bodytypes need completely different joints (And thus a complete new set of JSM magnets in V4's case) to be truly realistic.

As I said, I've given up on V4 because of that, and I don't have much hope for the other fourth generation DAZ figures either.
Unlike the Unimesh, the built in JSM magnets tie them to their default bodyshapes and proportions.
You can morph a bit here, scale a bit there with the "morphforms" but it still will look all the same after a while.

So, no, no use for A4 at all here.
I might get her anyway for "completeness" sake, but I wasted enough time trying to work with V4.1 already.

The whole concept with embedded JSM-magnets and "morphforms" is a failure, as it seriously limits creativity.

What's unknown is if DAZ has some kind of Pose file that will alter the V4 magnets to a male shape, and reset pose to set it back to V4. If A4 is a morph of V4, they might also use this trick. But it's an unknown if you can use magnets to readjust the figure's proportions without changing the rigging. If they have figured it out, then all the Gen 4 figures will be V4 and not separate figures like Gen 3. Will Apollo-like shapeshifting be used on V4? We'll see Tuesday. But... I am skeptical. I'm not excited about Aiko 3 becoming obsolete. Grrrrr >< I am interested to see what DAZ's attempt of male morph looks like. bB