Forum: Carrara

Subject: I know engineers; they love to change things: the Scale Tool in Vertex

sfdex opened this issue on Feb 04, 2008 · 8 posts

JohnMalv posted Tue, 05 February 2008 at 9:18 PM

Quote -
Hey, you wouldn't happen to know how to get the numeric entry to work in the vertex modeler, would you?  When I scale something to 90% (for instance) using numeric entry, it drops WAY more than just 10%.  (And I did try entering 10% instead, but it also drops in size significantly more than 10%.)

Dex-
I'm trying this now as I type. Using a small scale scene everything works as expected. I created a 1x1x1 inch cube in the vertex modeler and typed 50% in the global scale box and a .5 inch cube was the result. So far so good.

Next I created a medium scale scene and created a cube in the vertex modeler. I entered 1ft for all dimensions and a 12ft cube resulted. Yikes. Then I entered 50% in the global size box and my 12ft cube was reduced to 1/2 foot. Something is wrong. What I'm getting here is that the resizing by percentage (50%) is working correctly and is obviously based on my original input of 1'x1'x1'....so it seems the problem is with the actual creation of the cube at 12 times the size that was input.  1' reduced by 50% IS .5' so that's correct. IOW, had the vertex modeler produced the cube at the dimensions as entered (1'x1'x1'), the percentage scaling would be working correctly.

Now I create a large scale scene and again create a cube in the vertex modeler. I enter the same 1'x1'x'1 dimensions for the cube. This time a 1200 ft cube is created! Weeee. Again I enter 50% in the Global size box and I get a .5' cube which is correct if you base it on the dimensions I input originally, but obviously not correct for the 1200ft cube that the VM produced. It appears the problem isn't the scaling but the creating of the cube.

I think the global scaling is fine but the cubes are not being created according to the dimensions that are input. 1 ft should mean 1 ft no matter what size scene is being used. A number that seems consistent throughout all this is 12. If you create a cube in the medium size scene, take notice of the default numbers in the dimension boxes. ".42ft" seems like a strange default size but if you multiply by 12, you get a 5 foot cube...which is what results. In the large scale scene the default size for the cube is still ".42ft" and the resulting cube is .42' x 1200' = 500' (it's actually 504' but they must round it down for some reason which isn't too cool if you're going for accuracy)

I think I saw a bug report submitted, was that you?