Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 7 Rendering & RAM Issues

Rhiana opened this issue on Feb 20, 2008 · 24 posts

svdl posted Thu, 21 February 2008 at 12:05 PM

THat is what I'm trying to explain. Poser 7 DOES use up to 4 gb on a 64 bits OS. Out of the box. No need to change the flag, it's compiled right in.
Poser 6 and older, on the other hand, are traditional 32 bit applications, limited to 2 GB, and PE Explorer can be used to change that.

Since Poser 7 is STILL a 32 bit application, the maximum amount of memory it can use is 2^32 bytes = 4 GB. The 2 GB limit imposed by Windows XP 32 bit is due to a (rather arbitrary) decision by Microsoft years ago that the upper half of the available address space was reserved for DLLs and system, and the lower half for user processes.

Full 64 bit applications can use far more memory. XP 64 bit and Vista 64 bit allow up to 128 GB of address space per process AFAIK.  At this time the limit is hardware imposed, theoretically XP 64 and Vista 64 applications should have an address space of 2^63 bytes each (8 exabyte, whcih is 8192 terabyte).

I have Vue 6 Infinite 64 bit, and on several occasions it has used over 20 GB of address space.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff