Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Looking for a Texture Editor, what's a Poser/Bryce User's first choice?

Rhiana opened this issue on Feb 27, 2008 · 8 posts

Acadia posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 1:53 AM

Quote - Wow thank you :) for the quick answers.

I hope to create my own skin textures, because I am not certain in how far I have to credit the actual creator of a skin-texture even if I altered it. It's a bit tiresome to list all the creators of the packs/textures I use when showing my stuff at deviantart sigh

Selling my creations or edits of existing material is not an option as I merely use it for my private joy to create characters (for friends, who want to see their avatars in 3D) or give characters of my novel (I am a hobby writer, not commerical yet) some "visual appearance". But I dunno what happens as soon as I get one day a book published and want to use the characters I have created with bought, yet edited, material as base for illustrations.
The original creator of the texture usually has all rights reserved, I guess.

Will dig through the information as soon as I am at home :D Thank you again!

From what I understand if you buy something you are free to use it in your commercial ventures, even if you "edit" it. Now by commercial ventures I am referring to you rendering images for your book. However, altering the textures and then repackaging them to sell or give away is not acceptable, unless you are using a merchant resource kit. Those are created for that purpose in mind. However I read a thread here not long ago where someone complained that they were using Merchant Resource Kits to make characters to give away free and the vendor of the merchant resource kit got upset about that  and told them that the kit was for commercial purposes only,  and not to be used to create freebie characters.

So always read the readme and fine print!

Now freebie resource kits are another matter. Some allow you to use them for commercial ventures such as  character illustrations for your book, while some others will not allow it and insist that their resource kits only be used for personal use only IE: hobby stuff.

If you do use a purchased merchant resource kit and create a character that you want to sell, you do need to list the resource kit and the vendor in the readme and indicate that you have made a derivative of the textures.

You can check in the Copyright Forum though just to be sure that I've given you the correct information. I don't claim to be an authority on the subject.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi