Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT: 3d gone wrong

ockham opened this issue on Mar 01, 2008 ยท 55 posts

jonthecelt posted Sat, 01 March 2008 at 4:58 PM

Actually, in a number of period dramas I've seen through the years, it's not uncommon for men of that time to wear their hair short and not particualrly well-kempt under the wig, for a variety of reasons. Firstly, it kept the head cooler than having, in effect, two heads of hair insulating the top of their head. And secondly, the wigs were often filled with lice and other adorable creepy-crawlies, and keeping their own hair short was a means of preventing them fro transferring over onto their head.

As to the suggestion that they're trying to make Bach sexually ambiguous... not only is that a gross stereotyping of the type of people who might wear that hairstyle these days (I'm not one of them, but I hate to hear such generalisations paraded), but it's also a prepostorous claim that that was even remotely the intent of the reconstructing team. Besides, even if - in some twilight zone version of this world I live in - that hairstyle was solely reserved for those of a 'sexually ambiguous' manner (and for gods' sakes, why not just come out and say what you mean, instead of using hideous faux PC terms like that? but I digress...), then who is to say that that was its cultural signifier in Bach's period?

And for the record, I can see that there are differences between the two faces. It's hard to judge properly, since they're at different angles; and there's nothing I can point to specifically, since a) they're all quite subtle taken individually, and b)I'm not an expert on anatomy to be able to actually name them correctly; but the overall effect is to produce a face and identity which is different enough from the artist's impresion that we have to be of interest.

JonTheCelt