Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT: 3d gone wrong

ockham opened this issue on Mar 01, 2008 ยท 55 posts

jonthecelt posted Sun, 02 March 2008 at 4:25 PM

I think the problem resides in seeing the piece as two different things. I look at it and see it for what it is - a computer-generated death-mask, which allows us to see what the physical characteristics of the person were without giving us any idea of who the person was. As such, it has historical interest, and is worth showing in a museum. IT is possible others may look on it and see it as an attempt to recreate artistically the appearance of the great composer (and he as great, I have never disputed that). This, I think, is an erroneous assumption -if they had wanted such, they would have given the finished 3d model onto an artist to help give it the spark of life you so rightly say is missing. Whether the vieing public will see it or wat ti is or attempt to imbue it with some sense of meaning or narrative, I cannot say.

Incidentally, when I talked of Madame Tussaud, I was not referring to the tourist attraction in her name, but rather he humble beginnings of her work, which were a collection of waxen deathmasks taken from the famous and infamous. I too find the idea of waxworks attractions questionble at best, since they are attempting to create art and entertainment, and yet so often fail to give the figures they represent the spirit they require. But that is not their intention with Bach, I am sure - nor are they seeking, as you have claimed more than once, to devalue or devalorize the work of this great composer.

JonTheCelt