Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Ray-tracing and reflections

arrowhead42 opened this issue on Mar 12, 2008 · 13 posts

Plutom posted Fri, 14 March 2008 at 9:17 PM

If you don't have the sky dome feature:

Another method of casting reflections

One thing I'm experimenting with at the moment are mirror reflections.  It may or may not be what you need but here goes.

Make a primitive cylinder (this will be your reflective surface).  In your materials' room set the ambient color of the cylinder if setting the ambient color to white washes out your detail try setting it  to BLACK and zero out everything else except reflectivity, set that to 1.  Add a ight node node (raytrace>reflectivity).  Right now don't worry about refraction since it really slows down rendering time (at least when I tried it) set it to zero with no nodes attached.

Start with two lights, one in from of the cylinder and one directly behind it. The KISS principle.
Set the cylinder properties to do not cast shadows (this will allow the light behind the cylinder to pass through.

In front of the cylinder, place your object you want reflected in the cylinder.

Place your camera between the cylinder and your object and aimed at the cylinder (If you dont want the object in the scene).

For the time being set both lights with raytracing on.

Now the trick,  you can brighten or dim the image in the cylinder by adjusting the light BEHIND the cylinder.

You will need to render in production mode with raytracing on to see your image

Your cylinder will be black except for the figure (as everybody stated, you don't have anything else to reflect hence black.

The figure will of course look distorted because of the cylinder's shape.

As you put more objects in the scene, the more will show up.  If  you want the cylinder to be silver, try placing a white cube in front of everything and large enough to cover the cylinder.

The key to this reflectivity is again: the cylinder that does not cast shadows and the light behind it shining through it to your object and the cube illuminating them.

This should work beginning with Poser 5 and up (I don't P5 has this neat sphere thing).

Just another way to do reflections.  Jan