Forum: Community Center

Subject: 'College gossip' website being investigated by the state of New Jersey AG

XENOPHONZ opened this issue on Mar 20, 2008 · 7 posts

XENOPHONZ posted Thu, 20 March 2008 at 12:12 PM

While I agree 100% that political correctness has "blessed" (read: cursed) us with things like enforced college speech codes, and that PC-ism has "helpfully" informed us that being honest about certain subjects constitutes "hate"..........on the other hand I don't see the type of behavior that's on display at this website as a derivative of particular topics being "off limits".  I rather see it as the result of children who haven't grown up, and who are therefore acting like unrestrained 5-year-olds: with active hormones thrown in to boot.  Yes, political correctness contributes to this type of thing: but that fact doesn't therefore excuse it.

Certain standards of speech have always been necessary in order to maintain at least a veneer of civilization.  For example, while it might be true that someone is overweight -- calling them "fat" to their faces all of the time stems from nothing more than pure sadistic cruelty.  Children are naturally like that -- which bespeaks volumes about the realities of human nature.  But by the college years: you'd expect at least a hint of maturity to be peeking through.  However, in today's world: perhaps such expectations are simply setting the bar way too high.

In any case, I'd say that anonymously posting someone's address and telephone number on the web -- coupled with personally hateful comments about them -- goes well beyond the boundaries of what's right.......and what should even be legal.

Something To Do At 3:00AM