Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Going to Start Making "Creatures".

thundering1 opened this issue on Mar 20, 2008 ยท 39 posts

thundering1 posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 9:04 AM

*"...I'd suggest running through some general anatomy books and check to see that your edge flow roughly flows with the muscles you're trying to convey."

Thanks for the suggestions Teyon - yeah, I love it when you see characters created that would have no chance of actual functionality - like the tusks through the cheeks! Fantasy characters have to look like they're able to exist in the real world.

There are MANY problems with my Ammon character (my character above in the thread - it was an Egyptian God with the head of a Ram) - it was done for the last C4D contest, and was done pretty quick (I was only working on it a couple nights a week). His legs aren't correctly proportioned, he also isn't anatomically correct, doesn't have ears, no teeth, the muscles on his legs aren't formed right for that type of leg structure, etc. I basically ran out of time for the contest (1 month for character and scene) and haven't touched it again - I don't like it, won't use, etc. As I stated above, if I were to revisit him I'd start all over again.

The stuff I'm thinking of doing, I'll spend a good month or 2 on the basic mesh to get THAT right - then put it through Mudbox where I'll spend a lot of time.

I've taken drawing courses since I was 9 (technically younger - my grandma was a professional illustrator and her visits turned into art classes), but having done photography for the last 12 years has made my drawing (and anatomy) rusty - which is what I ALSO want to get good at again. Hadn't thought about the 3D Modeling Forum - I'll definitely go there with WIPs - thanks for that suggestion as well!

From Phantom3D - "I had a figure at around 230k once in poser and just moving the body parts to pose it was slow."

That's the overall information I'm getting - PLUS the notion that they'll be loading SEVERAL Poser characters in the scene (hadn't thought about that one) - so yeah, it's looking like I definitely need to keep it between 50-70k. I start thinking about 100k and need to pull back because it'll just be a resource hog for most people.

Thanks again and keep them coming! Anything that hasn't been mentioned yet, I should keep in mind, am glossing over, etc. - throw 'wm at me!
-Lew ;-)