Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Daz's Subdivision with Poser?

ThrommArcadia opened this issue on Mar 19, 2008 · 99 posts

aeilkema posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 8:03 PM

*So ... I guess there is no possibility that Poser might actually support proper Catmull-Clark subdivision in the future?  And that DAZ's release of a subdivided model isn't an advancement that might propel similar innovations in Poser? That's the good thing about competition ... innovations on one side push similar innovations on the other. 

*I seriously doubt it, because I seriously doubt Smith Micro will do anything with Poser at all. It's starting to get awefully quiet around poser and staff seems to be very absent the last few months. No one is sharing anymore, CP is making very odd moves, Poser Pro release is delayed with months now. Poser releases always have been coming way too slow, while D/S is continually seeing new features and releases. By the time Poser will support proper Catmull-Clark, I doubt anyone will still be interested. By the time Poser 8 will be released, in a year or so, D/S will have caught up (with the rate it's going lately) and no one will be willing to pay for stuff then can be gained for free.

Just look at the Poser 5, 6 & 7 releases. The staff working on Poser sure can't be called innovative at all anymore and they're taking ages to release something new. The poser development team has become as ancient and slow as poser is.

I'm not saying D/S is perfect, but it sure is getting better and better each time and more and more interesting, I really can't say the same of poser at all. The differences between Poser 6 & 7 are so little that they could have released it (without the content) as a service pack for Poser 6. It took a year to do what? Adding to it that Smith Micro isn't known as the most innovative company either and if Smith Micro isn't going to move any time soon, they don't need to bother to move at all.

Not that Smith Micro even cares about Poser or it's users, they've already shown that. It's simple..... Poser 7 Pro will be released. It will be full of bugs, errors and trouble as usual. Smith Micro will start to realize that Poser needs a lot of investment, staff and time to maintain and they will abandon it. Poser will be added to the other obsolete and outdated software Smith Micro owns. Mind you, they're not even going to sell poser to some other company at all, they're going to sell it dirt cheap in the end, since the Poser pricing is way out of their current pricing range and just doesn't fit in. They even haven't bothered to add Poser and all the other applications to their main website to this day.

Don't get me wrong, I love Poser and I use it weekly, if not daily. But I'm not going to support an application if the company owning it treats it customers like little children and at times even like dirt and are clearly showing by their behaviour that they could care less about their customers. I can't be bothered to invest money into an application that's just not worth the money asked for anymore. The last 2 version they've dared to ask customers full price for minor updates. For years I've been a loyal customer and I'm not even getting a decent upgrade price. I'm not going to invest into an application that releases 'new' features that are 5 years overdue.

I'm keeping my money in my pocket and I'm going to sit on the fence to see what will happen and see if Smith Micro and the old E-Frontier staff is going to make a move to gain the customers trust once again. If not, I'll buy something else with my money, for now (and for years too come) I can live with Poser 6. Gotten used to the shortcomings and bugs, worked my way around them. At the moment the signals I'm getting from Smith Micro is telling me not to trust them at all. E-Frontier was pretty bad (besided for a few good staff members in it of which a number left the company just before Smith Micro took over), but Smith Micro seems to be even worse and I can't be bothered to support them, if they can't be bothered to take their customers serious.

Btw..... Sorry that I'm a bit late in replying, I was away.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk