Forum: Carrara

Subject: MacPro 8 core 2.8 with 4 Gigs of RAM

Pinklet opened this issue on Mar 21, 2008 · 18 posts

Pinklet posted Mon, 24 March 2008 at 11:07 AM

Thanks for your input. I really have almost 0 need for Windows. I have been using Mac OS since 1988. All my software is Mac compatible and even thou I have to acknowledge that as far as 3D goes, Windows has more choices, I have always preferred the Mac. To me this boot camp thing is really a safety blanket to diminish the fears of switchers. OS X is by far a better OS as far as multitasking and general purpose computing. Windows is still very good and doing one thing fast at a time, like gaming. Since I am not much of a gamer, I rally don't have any need for Windows and all the headaches it entitles. One possibility that  dose come to mind would be to be able to test my web site work on Windows, but I have a Windows box for that already.

This is purely anecdotal, but all the people that I have helped switch, installed Windows on their initial setup. Only to take it out a few months later realizing they did not have a need for it like they though they would. Companies like Adobe offer side-grade deals so you can switch your license from PC to Mac when upgrading. Macs don't have all the plethora of choices that Windows do, but almost in every case, you are able to find a Mac counter part for any Windows application that you may need. Since the Mac market for software is not that big, developers can not get away with crappy software, so usually all the Mac software is of top notch quality also.

The other curious point is that they have all become staunch Mac supporters (switchers). Almost like dealing with ex-smokers, who not only give up smoking, but end up hating it more then those that never smoked.