Forum: Vue

Subject: OT: Scary...Crysis Engine renders photoreal landscapes in Real Time!

attileus opened this issue on Mar 26, 2008 · 48 posts

agiel posted Thu, 27 March 2008 at 12:33 PM

Wait until you see FarCry 2, with dynamic smoke influenced by wind direction and burning trees and bushes.

I am still waiting for the next generation of hybrid 3D renderer, with advanced realtime previsualization, shaders and sculpting tools on one hand, and GPU optimization for final 'baking' of the image with realistic algorithms.

I put the issues with the Crytek engine reported above to the lack of time or motivation from developers to model everything on the islands that were not necessarily part of the story. What I have seen live of Crysis is already lightyears ahead of any realtime preview from any 3D modeler I know of.

Crysis is a game, designed for fast rendering of views at ground level. They had to take shortcuts somewhere, and that includes distant landscapes. 

Give me that kind of tool for composition of a scene and hook it up to a final renderer such as Renderman or Maxwell.  With the emergence of multi-core machines and improvements in GPU calculations, I am sure we will see such a tool one day.