Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Codec ?

trades2cash opened this issue on Mar 31, 2008 ยท 7 posts

Dale B posted Tue, 01 April 2008 at 8:26 PM

jdc; Thanks for that! I've been trying to find that little bugger of a codec for few months, but couldn't remember what it was called. And jd is right about the space requirements for playing around with uncompressed frame source. The more gigabytes of hard drive space you have to store with, the better. Burning to disc is viable, but only if you make multiple copies of your source, and check each one to make sure you have a data disk and not a coaster. And don't think that codecs are totally useless in this. When I animate, I usually create a preview quality compressed avi in Poser to check my smoothness and accuracy. You can take those check scenes and stitch them together to get an idea of how a series of scenes go together, and use that info to make changes in camera angles, closeups vs. long shots, etc. And the final version codec you use will be largely guided by what your output is going to be used for. If you're doing a DVD, then MPEG-2 is the codec to use, as all DVD players recognize it. IF for the web, then Quicktime is one option; DivX is another. And there are many others. Also the versions of codecs tend to change, depending on whether or not you are making a 4:3 ratio image, or a 16:9 widescreen image.