Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: (OT) My Guardian Angel (please read)

Acadia opened this issue on Apr 07, 2008 · 90 posts

Acadia posted Mon, 07 April 2008 at 7:14 PM

I didn't take the decision lightly at all. I did web searches, called the Humane Society and other local groups. I called other vets. I even considered giving her up in the hopes they would take care of her teeth and put her up for adoption with another family :(   But she is 16 years old, and it's hard to find a new home for a cat that is 5 years old, let alone one that is 16 years. They languish in a cage and in the end are euthanized to make room for kittens and other abandoned cats.  I even considered drastic measures of having all of her teeth pulled if that would be cheaper.

I worked my budget and reworked it. And I just couldn't juggle anything anymore. I was already paying the vet bill out of my grocery and medication money. I even stopped taking one of my own  medications so that I could afford to get her vet care.  Chynna doesn't quality for health insurance because of her age and existing health problems (bad teeth and high blood pressure, and renal insufficiency), and besides that there is a waiting period for it to kick in, otherwise people would be signing up today and spending $3000 on care tomorrow.  I even looked around my apartment for things that I could possibly sell to raise money. I don't think I'd get a lot for a 12 year old couch, or a 28 year old water bed.  If I owned a car I would have sold it in a heart beat  to help her!

To those who condemn me for thinking euthanasia, please don't.  My cats are my children and I put their happiness and health above my own. I've agonized and cried over this issue to the point that I am physically sick over it myself.

I'm still crying. And I'm still agonizing. Only they are tears of happiness and he agony is more worry that everything goes ok for her on Wednesday.  I had a long talk with the vet a short while ago. I did my homework on surgery and cats with renal problems.

I'm so grateful to Gerry!  I'm in such a daze and my emotions are  all over the place, that I can't stop crying. I'm a blubbering mess right now.  But in a good way because I am giving Chynna a chance at a longer life without pain.

Quote - If anyone is faced with that situation consider contacting animal rescue groups. They can sometimes arrange very cheap vet care , or will take the animal for adoption and get it the treatment required.  Vet schools are another option, as is shopping around for vets , some are better than others when it comes to low income owners.

I cant compare any animal with a child , they just arent the same .  The sad thing is that there are parents who have to consider very carefully before taking a child to a Doctor because of medical costs. 

It seems this time it worked out Ok .

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi