Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: (OT) My Guardian Angel (please read)

Acadia opened this issue on Apr 07, 2008 · 90 posts

SeanMartin posted Mon, 07 April 2008 at 9:51 PM

>> To those who condemn me for thinking euthanasia, please don't.  My cats are my children and I put their happiness and health above my own. I've agonized and cried over this issue to the point that I am physically sick over it myself.

I dont think many people can really appreciate that kind of bond. When I was moving to Canada, I had all my belongings in the back seat of an old VW beetle; in the passenger seat, all the way across the country driving to Vancouver, was a large cage that held Florence and her brother Buddy. I moved up there during the winter, which was pretty stupid to start, but remember: this was a VW, which isnt exactly known for its heating system.

So I had the cage (which really was huge, so much so that changing gears was, at times, challenging) wrapped in every blanket I had, and the inside was lined with towels and just about anything else I could find to give them some insulation.

At one point, I stopped at a gas station and found I had enough money to fill the tank and buy a hot dog -- and that was it. I was gonna have to wing it until I got to the next big town and found some place to cash a cheque. So I filled the tank, bought the hot dog, ate the bun, and gave the actual hot dog to Flo and Buddy so they wouldnt go hungry en route.

I sorta laugh about it now, but I cant help but remember those few days when I was doing everything I could to keep them warm and fed, while I sat in the driver's seat, shivering and very hungry. And I wouldnt do anything any different now for Diesel and Lady Grey. They may not be human children, but when I took them in, I took on the responsibility for their welfare. And I have to honour that pact, no matter what. It's not like I feel I can just dispose of them when times get rough.

And sometimes, honestly, I'm bewildered by the way people view their pets. During the recent big rains in the Midwest, NPR briefly interviewed a woman who returned to her home after the water receded, and she was all distraught because her four pets were found dead. I just wanted to shake her really hard and ask her What did you think would happen? I just cant fathom folks who would do that kind of thing to any animal that looks to them for love and care and support.

Okay, rant over (brief, I know). The good thing is that your story did indeed have a happy ending. And yeah, it's very possible someone did this for Gerry, and he's just paying it forward to you.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider