Forum: Photography

Subject: Do you print in standard sizes? I don't. The print is the proof of the shot to

TomDart opened this issue on Apr 10, 2008 · 10 posts

MGD posted Fri, 11 April 2008 at 8:11 AM

I see that Tanchelyn offered some interesting insights about numbers,

Phi: 0,618; root two: 1 x 1,4142; root three: 1 x 1,7321; root four: 1 x 2,000; root five: 1 x 2,2361

We shouldn't forget that tuning systems in music were based on  justly tuned perfect fifths (ratio 3:2), leapfrogging twelve times, one eventually reaches a pitch approximately seven whole octaves above the starting pitch. ... however ... dropping 7 octaves will not come back to the initial pitch -- this difference is the "Pythagorean comma".  in Western music, 12 perfect fifths and seven octaves are treated as the same interval. Equal temperament, today the most common tuning system used in the West, accomplished this by flattening each fifth by a twelfth of a Pythagorean comma, thus giving perfect octaves. This tuning system was introduced about the time of J S Bach ... e.g."The Well-Tempered Clavier". 

Other numerical influences ... during the Middle Ages (12th century), a person was not considered educated unless he knew the Seven Liberal Arts  At the Cathedral of Chartres, sculptures of the Seven Liberal Arts appeared in the archivolt of the right bay of the Royal Portal, which represented the school at Chartres.

The Seven Liberal Arts were ...

In case you didn't notice ... 3 + 4 = 7 ... a mystical number ... for that matter, 3 could represent the Trinity and 4 could represent the Alchemical elements: Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. 

Bernard of Chartres, of the Cathedral School of Chartres expressed [study of ancient learning; e.g. Greek and Roman],

"Standing on the Shoulders of Giants"

"We are as dwarfs mounted on the shoulders of giants, so that although we perceive many more things than they, it is not because our vision is mor piercing or our stature higher, it is because we are carried and elevated higher thanks to their gigantic size."
[I quoted from: Gimpel, Jean; Medieval Machine; ISBN 0-14-004514-7]

--
Martin