Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: VSS Skin Test - Opinions

bagginsbill opened this issue on Apr 23, 2008 · 2832 posts

BastBlack posted Mon, 28 April 2008 at 10:33 PM

Quote - Here's another hint. In many renders we insist that there should be some subsurface scattering, to redden the areas in shadow.

This is, well, inaccurate. We need some more red, but not for the reasons most people have been saying.  It has almost NOTHING to do with subsurface scattering, as an underlying physical phenomenon. It has to do with a flaw in our, um, "display" devices. This flaw must be anticipated, and the images we deal with, both incoming and outgoing, must be "compensated". Otherwise, we're doing incorrect math.

Hmm... 

SSS would creates a more inner luminescent glow to the skin as light passes through the transparent layers of the skin then bounces back off the surface. The top most layer of skin is translucent. So SSS makes skin look like there are layers to skin.  (SSS is not a greasy shine on the surface of the skin, or adds redness, but for Poser this trick helps make skin look better like it has some SSS?) 

I like what you have so far. ^^

So... uh... there's going to be true SSS soon and I should start saving my pennies now? ^^