Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: VSS Skin Test - Opinions

bagginsbill opened this issue on Apr 23, 2008 ยท 2832 posts

bagginsbill posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 11:39 PM

Yes I'm doing lashes and brows. I lump those together in a Lash shader. It's basically a transmap with a color and no specular.

No not all eye materials are the same.

Eyewhite (or sclera) gets gamma, a subsurface scattering treatment, some bump, glossy specular and AO.

Iris and pupil just get gamma. But - sometimes people don't load a color map on the pupil. So I have to set those up as two different shaders. The pupil has to have a default black color. The iris gets a default blue color. In the futue, the iris may get a procedural color.

Cornea, eyetrans, tears, whatever - they all get a water shader. Generically I call that the Template Cornea.

I don't do special stuff with nostrils, although you can if you want. By default it gets skin. Because I use AO, they don't have glow. Nevertheless, we should set up a specific Template Nostril that by default is disabled and will use Template Skin instead. That way you can override the default skin should you need to. So you should note for me which zones are nostrils.

Genitalia - not sure how to handle those. May be a special case. I don't see me spending a lot of time working out the details of that shader with people around. :) LOL If you have a need for it, it would be easy enough to connect one of those "special" zones to the eyewhite shader - you know - wet look. Ahem.

Eyelid line sounds like - hmm. Not sure - you need to show me that one. Ball joints - not sure. It's a doll so you'd set up the Template Skin to be plastic, right? In which case I'd expect the joints to be the same. But wait, maybe we want metal joints?! Ok identify those as a special case for me.

I haven't talked about this feature of VSS (or a billion others) but when we set up a rule we can specify more than one place to look.

For example, Nostril can be set up like this:

Rule nostril <- Copy Template Nostril <- Copy Template Face <- Copy Template Skin

What that says is check for a nostril template. Use it if you have one. If not, check for a face template. Otherwise use the generic skin template.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)