Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Posing a dress

stagehand opened this issue on May 02, 2008 · 6 posts

Realmling posted Fri, 02 May 2008 at 1:28 PM

One way I've done conforming skirts...and it does take some (sometimes a lot) experimenting to get it working just right is as follows:

Group everything for the skirt part to the hip bone.

Then, in the setup room, add a series of bones parented to the hip bone that further control the skirt movements. For short skirts, you'd only need one level of extra bones placed. For longer skirts you can add however many levels down from the first set of bones added in. It would in effect like having the extra leg bones in, but you don't need to worry about them being "mesh grouped" so to speak.

If you need an example of a simple base set up, I have this freebie here where I used these extra skirt bones instead of morphs.

It's not an exact science, but have had decent results setting things up this way. I need to go back to some of my earlier freebies and update them to work better with this. 

Another option if you're using P5+ -- export your dress/skirt out as an obj file with welding turned on, import back into Poser, parent to your figure, and then run a cloth sim. Can get varied results...but is another option available.

Crazy alien chick FTW! (yeah....right....)

Realm of Savage - Poser goodies and so much more!

~~