Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: VSS Skin Test - Opinions

bagginsbill opened this issue on Apr 23, 2008 · 2832 posts

bagginsbill posted Sat, 03 May 2008 at 3:51 PM

BastBlack,

Thanks for the renders. I just want to remind you to read what I've said, because you raised the Displacement issue again and I've talked about it 3 times already. Perhaps I am not being clear.

I'm going to type in CAPITAL LETTERS now.

----- UNINTENDED DISPLACEMENT
POSER 6 IS TELLING A LIE about images files that are not there. Because Poser 6 has a bug, VSS thinks displacement should be on for all figures. Figures that HAVE no displacement map end up with FULL DISPLACEMENT - FAT FACES. This is not intended.

I have fixed it already. FOR THE PC. I CANNOT TEST THE MAC. Next release you will see this problem gone on the PC and you can test for it on the MAC.

----- SPOTS ON YOUR FIGURE
Quoting myself, "Poser 6 users will find many more AO artifacts"

Poser 6 sucks at ambient occlusion. It is slow, it is buggy. But without AO you will have nostril glow and ear glow and other funny things and the eyes will not look real.

You have four choices:

1. First, try turning off Smoothing in render options. (Poser 7 - this can help. Poser 6 this usually isn't enough.)
  2. Edit the VSS templates - remove the Ambient_Occlusion nodes. Your spots will go away, and so will some realism.
  3. Edit the VSS templates - increase the RayBias on the Ambient_Occlusion nodes. This can make spots stop while still getting some AO. However, you may see AO break-away (the opposite of AO spots - AO spots is AO where there should be none - break-away is absence of AO where there SHOULD be some)
  4. Switch over to Poser 7 or Poser Pro - now you have a reason. Realism and speed.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)