Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: My Poser Pro impressions.....

aeilkema opened this issue on May 01, 2008 · 36 posts

kuroyume0161 posted Sun, 04 May 2008 at 6:34 PM

Quote - The only advantage I can imagine is that IPP has one flaw in that it seems to have a little trouble interpolating "smooth" spline animations from Poser to Cinema 4D--it tends to flatten the curves out an make the moves jerky--but that can be generally fixed by making sure that you have a keyframe for each frame of the animation for each part that moves before exporting the animation from Poser. That can be a little bit of a drag to do, since it has to be done manually (anybody know an automated way of doing this??) That said, having the figures in Cinema 4D (via IPP) has a lot of advantages, mostly in that your figures can interact directly with their environment, and can take advantage of C4D functions like cloth, hair, etc., plus adding and changing textures is easier and more direct as well.

Poser uses Natural Cubic Spline interpolation whereas Cinema 4D uses Catmull-Rom Spline interpolation.  The difference is that Catmull-Rom interpolation isn't continuous across multiple points (keys) on the curve (only between points and, with proper tangents, at the points) whereas Natural Cubic Splines (Konachek or TCB) are continuous functions across the entire curve (no matter how many points/keys).  Except for using a plugin track/sequence(ccurve)/key, the only solution is to do some massaging of the key tangents to get results closer to Poser's - which is what I am doing with some help from Dave Eberly.

PoserFusion/BodyStudio probably does animation like a BVH file and sets each frame so that discrepancies between the hosting systems and Poser are mitigated.  But this requires the Poser SDK to get at the frame-by-frame values.  They are not included in the Poser file - only the keyed frames are.  The changes between C4D R9 and R10 haven't made it easier since the results are different for Spline interpolation in both.

Of course, I'd appreciate any assistance/information from users that would help me improve the spline interpolation used for animation created by iPP from Poser.

Robert

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone