Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser Pro Released

bagginsbill opened this issue on Apr 29, 2008 ยท 496 posts

Penguinisto posted Thu, 08 May 2008 at 9:25 AM

Quote - I dunno about DAZ|Studio being a "blip" - over 500,000 downloads and that's not even counting people who get it direct from DAZ:
http://www.download.com/3120-20_4.html?qt=daz+studio&tag=srch&tg=dl-20

I think the userbase for D|S is likely at least as big as Poser's - I'm not a fan of D|S personally, I think it is missing way too many features and I was never too interested in buying all the plugins necessary to get it in the same ballpark as Poser, but I don't think it should be written off.

Fair cop both ways, really... D|S was built originally to be a fall-back if Poser bit the dust, but then became a neat way to introduce folks at large into the world of 3D.

By the by? You can't get it direct-from-DAZ anymore, so the figures above (not counting P2P/BitTorrent and the Mac numbers, which are IIRC counted separately), are accurate.

OTOH, free products have a different paradigm for counting an active userbase, since a large chunk of those who download never use the thing more than once (whereas if you laid out a couple of Benjamins for something like Poser, you're at least going to give it a good hard go).

But your point does stand - it ain't exactly a blip.

/P