Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: VSS Skin Test - Opinions

bagginsbill opened this issue on Apr 23, 2008 · 2832 posts

bagginsbill posted Sun, 18 May 2008 at 2:33 PM

> Quote - Couple of questions to the testers: Are you applying VSS before you clothes your figure? > I see for example if I do it afterwards, necklace or the popular MFD dress has names like neckline and they get trapped up in  the *neck* rule. > > Using the VSSPR2Test prop, I didn't like how it changed the shaders applied to fingernails. So I assume the safest bet was to just disconnect that node from the template skin, vs making a new copy fingernail. If that was the wrong thing to do I am sure their are others who would appreciate an answer if it was. > > Same can happen to lips on females that have lipstick. Most of the render shared in this thread don't have lipstick. Renders cooking in background. As soon as I have a pair off I will post a comparison. > > > Bil it would appear that people are going to generate different props with different rule sets. Going back to the top. If you selected just the figure of the character and VSS was only applied to that, instead of other figures conformed to that figure then the necklace, MFD zone naming issues would not be an issue.

First of all, if you do NOT want it to apply VSS to just any figure (particularly clothing, etc.) you should edit the "Apply Rules" material zone. Delete the Rule

because that is the generic rule to match any figure.

Insert a rule with the name of your figure (or wildcard name, for example Apollo*). I discussed this in an earlier post I believe.

For special handling of nails and lips, you have two choices:

1. Disconnect the rules that match those zones so the copy nothing.
  2. Create new Template zones, add new Copy nodes for those templates to the "Shader Rules" material, and then hook the desired rules to those templates.

Of course I'll be doing the latter in the final VSS prop - but I haven't had time to set all that up.

When you have distinct material templates and additional rules matching those, you can have different materials for different zones. In the Preview Release props I'm just making it easy to do the generic stuff.

You can also make separate VSS props to configure shaders for clothing, jewelry, etc. You don't have to have just one VSS prop. Again, this is just Preview Release - you have to do some additional work to get more complicated things going.

Right now, I'm building my entry for the Poser Challenge involving primitives. I'm building a house out of primitives. So far I have over 200 boxes and over a dozen one-sided squares. The VSS prop I'm making to speed up the work has templates for clapboard, trim, glass, grass, curtains, shades, etc. VSS has nothing to do with figures, per se. You can set up rules to manage all kinds of materials and distribute them throughout your scene consistently. So using it, when I change the color or shading on the clapboards, it copies that to the 145 boxes automatically.

My WIP image is attached. Rendering in Poser 7 with HDRI lighting.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)