Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: I think maybe it's time I left the party

SeanMartin opened this issue on Jun 03, 2008 · 312 posts

LostinSpaceman posted Fri, 06 June 2008 at 8:36 PM

Quote - If I remember right, Matrix Workz freebies are what I would consider pretty nice freebies, not exactly your run of the mill packs, and if I remember right, I've seen you/MatrixWorkz on the list of top freebie providers here on rendo more then once. It's great, but this just what I was trying to get across, thousands of downloads is well above the average performance. Not something that happens left and right to everyone.

Thanks. I never paid any attention to the top freebie provider lists so I was never aware I'd made it to that list. The Dynamic clothing freebies I was churning out made with VF Fashion 1 and some Zbrush and texturing work  didn't overwhelm me in the least and I could churn out at least one a day using the methodolgy I was using with those programs.

The Jupiter 2 Project of course was a lot more work and not all of it my own. Still, there are enough needs for simple freebies out there that one could make a living selling them for a buck or two apiece if they sold in the thousands. So many small scene filler knick knacks could be made that are currently absent that someone could make a small fortune on a site like that if it existed.

Nobody's going to get rich on Poser Content though except maybe DAZ or some other market place owner living off the backs of the content providers. I chose not to get worked up over it anymore. I'll still release freebies as I make them but without the incentive I had from ShareCG, I won't be nearly as prolific.

Quote - It's when certain individuals attempt to turn freebies into an ideology: and make spurious claims that freebies are somehow morally superior (snort) to another guy who's trying to feed himself off of his work: by daring to sell his products for real money (the greed-head!) -- that's when I have a problem with what's being said.

IMO, the true greed-heads are the individuals who think that they have a right to have everything handed to them for nothin'.  In reality: it's never for nothin' -- somebody else has to pay for it.

No offense Xeno, but I don't know who these "Certain individuals" are that you're talking about but sometimes you really seem to go out of your way to offend them and others with some of the attitude I see in your posts.

Frankly, Poser was founded on a sharing ideology and I'm one of the people who miss that about the community. Yeah someone has to foot the bills for bandwidth. That's a fact of life. But it can be done a lot less offensively if you ask me.