Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 7 is slower than dead snails

Vex opened this issue on Jun 09, 2008 · 48 posts

renderdog2000 posted Tue, 10 June 2008 at 10:00 PM

Quote - The weird thing is that Poser seems to look for the geometry/texture files in an incredibly inefficient way. I've written a small utility in C# that scans for certain files on the entire system, and it is much, much faster than Poser (easily a factor of 100) even when I direct it to do a complete file system search, not restricted to registerred runtimes... I have no idea why Poser has to be this slow.

I've often wondered about that myself.  In my own experience, if I keep the actual Poser default runtime down to an absolute minimum (nothing in there but the stuff that installs by default and what very little addons that have to b) Poser runs reasonably well all things considered.

So about 98% of my content is in external runtimes, the only thing in the default runtime is the stuff Poser setup when it installed itself initially.  That seems to work ok.  If I start installing stuff into the default runtime at some point I hit whatever magic number of bytes it takes, Poser throws a fit.

It loads slow, renders slow, gives me all sorts of out of memory errors when loading textures, etc.  It's almost as if Poser builds some sort of index from it's default runtime and stores it in memory, because the larger my default runtime becomes the longer it takes Poser to load, the more memory it takes up and the more likely it is it will throw me an error when I'm trying to render.

If I keep everything out in additional runtimes instead, it seems to work fine, loads as fast as I can get Poser to load and doesn't seem to give me these errors when rendering.  Not sure why that is, Poser's memory and file management routines need a serious, major overhaul - hopefully something they will finally get around to addressing soon, since it's been like this since version 5.

-Never fear, RenderDog is near!  Oh wait, is that a chew toy?  Yup. ok, nevermind.. go back to fearing...