Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT: you go, sulu!

dorkmcgork opened this issue on Jun 17, 2008 · 117 posts

SeanMartin posted Thu, 19 June 2008 at 7:56 AM

Quote - I have no doubt this is going to turn a lot of people off to me, but so be it.  I personally do not agree with homosexuality, but niether am I trying to appear self righteous or 'holier then thou'.  I am simply stating Biblical Truth.

**Genesis 19:4, 5
**"Now before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both old and young, all the people from every quarter, surrounded the house.  And they called to Lot and said to him, "Where are the men who came to you tonight?  Bring them out to us that we may know them carnally."

Know them carnally meaning that the men of Sodom desired homosexual relations with Lot's visitors.

If we're throwing BIble quotes around, let's be comprehensive about it, shall we?

Okay, everyone, sit down. It's time for today's episode of BIBLE TALK.

Now, here's the first few verses that describe that situation. No editting, straight from the KJV --

*And there came two angels to Sodom at even; and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom: and Lot seeing them rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground;

and he said, Behold now, my lords, turn in, I pray you, into your servant's house, and tarry all night, and wash your feet, and ye shall rise up early, and go on your ways. And they said, Nay; but we will abide in the street all night. *

And he pressed upon them greatly; and they turned in unto him, and entered into his house; and he made them a feast, and did bake unleavened bread, and they did eat.

But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter: *

*and they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.

And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,

and said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.

Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.*

Now, a couple of things come to light almost immediately: (1) your use of "carnally" aint substantiated by the KJV, nor is it really posed that way in what we have of the original texts. The suggestion has been made that the "sin of Sodom" (which, please note, isnt specifically described in the BIble) was a near paranoid fear of strangers -- something pretty antithetical to the basic Middle Eastern tenet of providing strangers with shelter for the night. In a desert region, that's almost as much a social necessity as anything else you can think of. (2) Please note that, to dissuade the people of Sodom, Lot offers up his own daughters because they're virgins. Yeah, Happy Father's Day, bud! That just strikes me, anyway, as kind of the WRONG thing to do when you're trying to tell a story about God's sense of morality and judgment.

So put these together, and you have a few more questions than some facile "Oooo! Evil Sodom! wish fulfillment about gays and lesbians. What was the "sin of Sodom"? The Book aint all that specific, and, sadly, the two towns get burned to a crisp before we can find out. Why did Lot offer to allow his daughters to be gang-banged? Did God really want Lot to do that? I'm kinda thinking not, but then we get to the punishment phase: both towns are nuked right out of existence. Everyone -- the bad men, the bad women, and (we assume, anyway) the bad toddlers and infants, not to mention the bad horses and sinful cattle and frogs and insects driven by the forces of Satan -- are wiped right off the face of the planet. Gosh, nothin' too ruthless about that, is there? But you have to remember that this is (theoretically, anyway) the same God that tells various Hebrews that they have the God-given right to marraude and murder various tribes, to the point of killing their animals as well... which, let's face it, takes "vengeance" to a whole new level.

So to anyone that quotes this story of S&G -- if you honestly believe these were the actions of a loving, merciful diety... well, y'know, there's a few issues there you might want to work on.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider