Forum: Photography

Subject: Infrared (IR) Photography Thread

TwoPynts opened this issue on May 04, 2007 · 367 posts

john010766 posted Sun, 29 June 2008 at 6:58 PM

HI All
sorry for being away for so long, but the health is getting the better of me,so been laid low for a while to let the old carcass recover somewhat.

Anyway after months of experiementation and deleting bags of failed images, I have managed to get usable handheld IR shots using a CANON 350D and the IR filter.  I will go through my work process and findings.

I set the camera to taker RAW images only then once this is done I set the WB to something fairly reflective like a mirror or polished steel (this gives a slightly higher than normal light reading even over exposed but I find its needed).  Then set the WB SHFT/BKT to M8 or R0, after this I set the BRK to cover at least 2 stops to what I think I may need.  I have stopped using a tripod but I do use a monopod to keep stability depending on the lens I use.  After this I set the PARAMETERS to B&W with no toning effects and no filter effects.

These are the settings I use, I stress that they may or may not work for you. But play around and see what happens.

After I have done the above I set the film speed to ISO 400 or ISO 800 I find after faster leads to more unusuable images, because of the noise (grain) but thats my personal preference.

I turn off the AF and manually focus then I slip in the IR filter (Wratten 89B equivalent). 

I hope this helps, and sorry to be out of circulation for so long.  BTW for the UK people, theres a company that can convert your camera to IR only.  The details are

Advanced Camera services
UNIT 10
Linmore Court
Threxton Road IND Estate
Watton
Norfolk
IP25 6NG

TEL: 01953 889324