Forum: Community Center

Subject: Mission Accomplished : Sundays Dog Transports.

Khai opened this issue on Jul 14, 2008 · 5 posts

jaguarwoman posted Sat, 19 July 2008 at 7:46 AM

Several of my dogs are rescues and I swear by the people at Chihuahuarescue.org.  They are the greatest. I've gotten 2 of my Chihuahuas from them and they have been wonderful for me.

But it's also sad sometimes.  I have an 11 year old male Chihuahua from a puppy mill who was also dumped because he developed congestive heart failure at 8.  When he was rescued from the dog pound he was really in bad shape, had never lived inside and had also never been on grass.  He was terrified of my yard.  He was unsocialized to other dogs, never been housebroken, afraid to be touched . . .but he was just pleading all the time for attention which he didn't know how to respond to. He had no play instinct at all because he had never played with other dogs.  What a tragedy.  But he's much better now.  His little body is not stiff every time I take him in my arms.  He did a lot of fear biting the first year because that's what these poor little vulnerable dogs do when they are scared.  But no more, he just sticks to me like glue. He's just got doggie PTSD and has reactions that have no relation to his environment, like he's reliving awful experiences. Isolation and rought treatment and confinement just are terrible for these dogs.  But I LOVE him to pieces, he's so sweet.  4 years later, he's still a terrific choice we made.  We have 5 dogs and I'd love to be a foster dog mother.  May still do that, but right now the group is keeping me plenty busy.

I applaud the work you are doing.  I've seen such awful things with dogs, but the adoptees can make wonderful companions and are worth all the hard work.  How people can treat animals as they do is just something I will never understand.

Dana Sitarzewski
Jaguarwoman Designs
http://www.jaguarwoman.com