Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Full featured 3D software for free

RubiconDigital opened this issue on Jul 23, 2008 · 38 posts

moogal posted Thu, 24 July 2008 at 7:46 PM

Quote - moogal I read your description of the cloth, and because it is a new concept to me (no separate sim for cloth, but updates according to physics from frame to frame) can I ask....

....have you ever created or have you seen a demo of an animation with realistic cloth moving, colliding, drapping, stretching, damping, etc?

Would you call it actual functioning cloth realism?

Thank you.

I looked in to the fur module back when deciding if I should upgrade my 5.5 license, and while the fur looked interesting, it was not simmed or reactive in a way that could make it even approach modest Poser standards for human flowing hair. That is not a criticism, just an evaluation of whether trueSpace is actually a candidate for movie making when you have humans interacting conversationally, etcl, with clothes and hair.

Man, they are THAT CLOSE.  (By that account so is Carrara).

I guess it is worth looking in on it to see if you can actually get hair.

::::: Opera :::::

I agree.  I wanted them to add Collada support so that I could model my own original content to use with both Carrara and TS.  I planned on using TS' realtime renderer for the bulk of the animation, but switch to Carrara whenever I needed a bump up in quality.  I've also been vocal about wanting Carrara to have GLSL shaders similar to TS' DX9 ones.

The cloth is new, only available to the masses yesterday.  I can say from the videos I have seen that it looks suitable for animation of things like flags, sails, scarves etc.  I haven't yet seen it used in the manner that we are all thinking of, as a way to clothe a rigged figure.  Check out the video on the features page where they interactively toss a ball at a rope ladder that responds in real time as it naturally would.  There is also another  video of cloth blowing in the environmental wind.  The reason Poser sims cloth is twofold.  Their implementation is time consuming, but once simmed can be played back fluidly.  Also, there are many other variables such as damping, stretch/shear resistance, friction etc. that can be tweaked to approximate specific cloth types and condiitons when an animator needs the cloth to nbehave in an exact manner.  All I 've ever wanted was a cloth feature that'd let me make a simple T-shirt that can drape to a figure whatever its pose and doesn't pop off or allow the body to show through.  I'm sure there are many similarities in principle between what Poser and TS are doing when they "sim" cloth, and that were Poser's cloth quicker to calculate they probably wouldn't have it pre-calculated the way they do it now.  TS technically is simming the cloth, but at an interactive rate.  Poser does it slower which is called pre-rolling, baking, or the non-descriptive term simming.