Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Experimentation: application comparison, lighting, and post-working

XENOPHONZ opened this issue on Aug 18, 2008 · 74 posts

XENOPHONZ posted Mon, 18 August 2008 at 7:05 PM

Just to mention -- I did turn the ambient light setting way down in Carrara......to something like 2 or 3%, IIRC.  I'd have to check, and I don't have the .car file here at the office.  In Carrara, I used one distant light off in the backspace of the mall, tuned down -- three spotlights and one bulb light on the woman.  Once again: I am fully aware of the fact that an experienced Carrara user could no doubt take the same scene and do much better with it than I did.  And as I've mentioned: I have little doubt that other users could come up with better results in the other programs, too.  Including with the postworking aspect.  Hey -- I could do better, simply by investing more time & experimenting with each app.   Consider this to be an experimental WIP. I wanted to try this out, as it's interesting -- and I haven't seen any similar inter-application comparisons done, working on the same scene.

Hmmmm......as I have the time (which is limited), perhaps I'll fool around with this scene some more in all three apps, just to see what I can do with it.  Plus I'm especially interested in trying out the Poser Pro Lightwave plug-in, when it's available.

(And if it works 😉)

Yes, as others have already said: I do believe that the (potential) "universal" testing scene that we're discussing here should include a human figure or two, as that is Poser's forte.  But, as opera has suggested, I'd also be interested in trying both types of scenes: i.e. with and without people.  Organic & inorganic.

On the practical side of all this, I think that a lot of users are interested in comparing different applications & their comparative rendering capabilities.  Especially people who are in the process of deciding where they should spend their hard-earned cash.  For all of the other things that 3D programs do: the final render is the program's product, whether it's a still or an animation -- and whether a model is exported into another application..

I'd like to try D|S with this scene, too -- unfortunately, I haven't purchased all of the plug-ins that I'd need to do that.  But it would be interesting to try.

Something To Do At 3:00AM