Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser7-How to create a real water?

zippomaker opened this issue on Aug 19, 2008 ยท 30 posts

bagginsbill posted Wed, 20 August 2008 at 6:52 PM

Probably not. I could do that for water on glass, no problem. But the technique I'm using is taking advantage of that peculiar circumstance - water on glass. I'm bending the glass using displacement to make the droplets, and relying on the fact that when you look through the water droplet, you see all the way through the glass.

Water on skin has been asked for many times, and it is extremely difficult to do convincingly. I have some preliminary results in another thread, but I wasn't entirely happy with it. Bending the skin to make droplets gives an appearance more like a disease of the skin than like water. My newer technique involves using some math to simulate the bending of light, without actually relying on a curved, displaced surface. But it's very tricky math, and the material room nodes don't quite give me all I need to fully accomplish the effect.

SkinVue basically relies on photographs of water (sort of) blended with the skin texture a specific way. This is fine and very convincing for a still image, but in an animation, you'd immediately recognize that the water droplets are "painted" on the figure. As the figure moves, and particularly as it turns, the effect falls apart.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)