Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Another Virus

FlyByNight opened this issue on Aug 27, 2008 · 76 posts

MKeyes posted Thu, 28 August 2008 at 10:44 AM

I have Home Version of Avast - which works very well I might add. It's always had an immediate fix or block things that have tried to get through. Unfortunately, when this happened, I'd just started doing a render that was sucking a huge portion of resources from my computer, a 23 hour, 59 minute and 59 second render - Phew! I'd switched it off temporarily while rendering - had finished it and went directly to Renderosity for something, and then was prompted to run the ActiveX which I've done many times depending on the site I've been at.

Thinking nothing of it because I was at Rendo, I made the huge mistake of letting it run. Avast came BACK ON - on it's own immediately and shut my computer down. When it restarted, an alarm was going off that what I had was a Trojan - a Win32: something of the other and would do a scan in safe mode to remove it. It shut my computer down again and started the scan in safe mode. It took it over a couple hours to completely scan my system, but it found all traces of it removing it - thankfully - safely. I think it found like 20+ traces of it, because I had to click to say what I wanted to do with it.

Of course, freaking out and scared - as it went through it. HUGE lesson learned here! Needless to say, when the computer started back up, all was as it should be. Even so, I've downloaded and installed the Mamutu as well now. It's a trial for the time being, but I will be purchasing it in 30 days when it's over just as a companion to Avast!

Next time I'm rendering a monster image, I'll shut everything else down - BUT IT. Even though I did, it still responded. I don't like Norton Antivirus because it takes over everything! And McAFee was starting to do the same. As for Avast - I have no complaints at all - only praises!