Forum: Blender

Subject: ShrinkWrap - the Clothing Modeler's Best Friend

SickleYield opened this issue on Sep 10, 2008 · 33 posts

jestmart posted Sat, 13 September 2008 at 10:09 PM

I apologize for creating such a fuss.  I just wanted to point out that DAZ does have an official position about certain modeling techniques (and there is wording in EULA that could be used to support their position).  But as I tried, and apparently failed, to explain is that DAZ took this position to prevent unscrupulous individuals from doing an end round around copyright.

Consider this little scenario.  A couple of game makers decide to reduce their work load by using some DAZ models, they just need to reduce the poly count.  Except this definitely against the EULA.  So they  come up with a conning plan.  They create their reduced models, but then break them into separate parts, a pair of gloves here, pair of tights there, and so on.  They then make these 'sets' available free and without restrictions .  A  co-conspirator then collects the 'sets'.  While 'experimenting' with them he 'notices' that the edges and vertices of the individuals part line up perfectly and come to the 'conclusion' that if they where welded together they would make a complete figure.  You could see how he could try to argue that this isn't a derivative of DAZ's model but a perfectly legal use of some free models.