Forum: Carrara

Subject: Creating Poser content in C6 Pro

sparrownightmare opened this issue on Sep 24, 2008 · 9 posts

nomuse posted Thu, 25 September 2008 at 4:46 PM

Been making Poser content in Carrara for years.  My other tools are Poser (to tweak the rigging and textures), an old version of PhotoShop, the free UV Mapper (because Carrara's UV tool is not efficient for some tasks), and a text editor...the latter used way too often, doing things like deleting extra groups and assigning correct material groups on .obj files, rebuilding the files paths that Poser truncates when saving, removing extra channels and textures, and so forth.

One of the things I really like about Carrara is that it is sometimes possible to begin a clothing model as a simple vertex shape, UV map it nicely while there are not too many vertices to have to pull around by hand, and then apply subdivision and edge tools to build up detail.  It's like a hyper version of Box Modeling.  Plus, of course, when you've only got a primitive cylinder it is easy to rough in the fit of a dress or a shoe.  And as you tesselate, you do finer and finer adjustments to the shape and flow.

The way I've been doing this of late is to bring in a Poser figure, then start a seperate vertex (or spline) model.  In the model room, I open up the preview window as big as it will get (I can make it about a third of the screen width if I work at it).  Then adjust the model in the main window, while viewing the fit to the Poser figure in the preview window.  Actually works better than you'd think.

Another trick I've been liking is to create certain shapes as "raw cloth," export them to Poser, do a fabric run to drape them there, then bring that mesh back into Carrara to clean it up and integrate it and, again, add details.

There are a few pecadillos Carrara will throw at you during these processes.  I have hopes, now that the bug reporting system is in motion again, that some of the more outstanding ones will be cleaned up by the next whole-number version.  Be warned, for instance, that editing a UV map can lead to an application crash, that deletions on a vertex object will remove vertex groups (like Poser body parts), and that triangulate n-gon and a few other modeling room commands revert the UV map as well as deleting vertex groups.

That said. 6.2.1 is running smoothly enough that I am finally back to modeling properly with it.