Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT: Cautionary news for those who render anime-style?

miikaawaadizi opened this issue on Oct 15, 2008 · 183 posts

SeanMartin posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 9:35 AM

>> It also raises a question - should artists be held responsible for what people do because of the art they create?  That's a really risky extension of responsibility.

Well, at the risk of setting off a firestorm, I'd say that artists need to be held responsible for what they create.

Okay, hang on a sec -- let me get the asbestos suit out... Hmm. Doesnt fit as well, guess the diet must be working.

Look, we talk a lot about what's "art", and the egalitarian among us want to include every little squibble in that category -- and if it sounds elitist, screw it, but no, there are some things out there that are not art. We can pretend all we wish, but I think the "artist" in this case would have a really tough time defending his/her work as "artistic" if it's done strictly for the sake of sensationalism or prurience. An image of child abuse that strikes an emotional chord that makes you want to do something about the problem is one thing, but to simply put one up there is -- and excuse me for being crude here -- like masturbating in public. Makes the "artist" feel real good, I'm sure, but it's not something I'd like to see in the middle of Main Street.

Yes, I know, I know, this invokes the "slippery slope" argument and everyone's gonna be offended by something somewhere. But I think (or at least I hope) that child abuse is one of those issues that crosses all lines, liberal and conservative alike, just like snuff films or videos of pointless exercises in animal cruelty. There are some things that simply cannot be justified, no matter how hard you try. And IMHO it's not art, no matter how well it's drawn.

Now, having said that, I'm of two minds on this, TTTT. If the "art" is kept to an audience that (for whatever bewildering reason) appreciates it and uses it as some kind of moral and emotional pressure valve to keep them from doing the real thing, then huzzah and hurray and keep it coming. At the same time, a gratuitous image of child abuse for its own sake has no place in a civilized society. None. This is one of those rare instances where I actually agree with doing something "for the children", that otherwise hoary line politicians use when they cant justify things any other way.

It's not an easy issue, and yeah, the cops took advantage of an easy arrest. The fact that the guy bought it is minor. The motivation behind both the vendor and the purchaser is something worth far more investigation.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider