Forum: Blender

Subject: dumb question: circular cloth

kobaltkween opened this issue on Oct 19, 2008 · 11 posts

kobaltkween posted Thu, 23 October 2008 at 5:52 PM

> Quote - A square plane with added subdivision levels does not get you to a square grid? It will give you a perfect circle. Its the easiest way dude. > > Im sure lisarichie's way would work too but wow seems really complicated? > > Also never use tris in cloth it will make your lighting look like crap because the quads will bend in the middle. Doh! Unless polycount is of no matter to you then hey go for it. Everyone loves a 2 million poly skirt :)

for one thing, i'm not a dude.  for another, i tried that subdividing.  immediately on getting advice.  produced a square grid.  attached is the result of repeating this experiment.

just now trying the subsurface modifier, i get something approximating a circle.  even at so many subdivisions i can't see polys, i can easily see how it's really a very rounded rectangle.  frankly i could see that without a circle for comparison, but with one, it becomes really obvious.  it might suffice for a cloth sim, so much thanks for pointing in the general if inaccurate direction.  sorry, but if i knew enough to guess when people said subdivision when they meant subsurface, i wouldn't have to ask these questions.

it does make me wonder how to handle circles in more rigid situations where i'd want a true circle, and if it could be a problem somehow.  it also makes my life more complex because i was hoping for a solution fit for clothing, too.  clothing would be much easier to make with a tube that expands out than a circle that deforms inward.  but i'm looking at meshes i have and trying to see how others' topology works. 

i wasn't planning on something for anyone else but me, so it's kind of moot.  for the picture i was working on, i found that just subsurf modifying what i had worked well.  i wish Poser had that built in.

i've read several people say tris are much better for cloth sims, and some people saying it doesn't matter.  i'm not surprised to see someone say they're worse, but it doesn't really clear things up for me.  more bending seems like an advantage, not a disadvantage.  could you post some images showing the problems tris produce in cloth sims?