Forum: Blender

Subject: dumb question: circular cloth

kobaltkween opened this issue on Oct 19, 2008 · 11 posts

lisarichie posted Fri, 24 October 2008 at 6:25 AM

Quote - A square plane with added subdivision levels does not get you to a square grid? It will give you a perfect circle. Its the easiest way dude.

Im sure lisarichie's way would work too but wow seems really complicated?

Also never use tris in cloth it will make your lighting look like crap because the quads will bend in the middle. Doh! Unless polycount is of no matter to you then hey go for it. Everyone loves a 2 million poly skirt :)

Shrug......quads are 2 tris with an implicit shared diagonal and "bend in the middle" on a regular basis in organic modeling.

Oddly enough I've never had an issue with the mesh making my lighting look like crap, have had it the other way round a few times though. :lol:

Straight quads can force folds to form along undesirable lines during a cloth sim. Using a randomized tri mesh helps eliminate this allowing the cloth to deform more freely along the form of the underlying object. It took me a little reading and testing to get this idea too.

Poly counts....knew I should have highlighted the part about reduction.

Cloth sims don't need highpoly counts to work. The subd level and subsequent decimation decribed was to take advantage of the randomization caused by the decimate modifier to break the artificial lines of the quads.

Cloth simulation has been around a day or two so there are various avenues of approach to the idea. Flexibility in this approach can be beneficial to accomodating different situations that arise when modeling, but then to each his own.