Forum: Vue

Subject: * * * Vue challenge for October - Painting with Light * * *

agiel opened this issue on Oct 03, 2008 · 17 posts

ArtPearl posted Fri, 24 October 2008 at 2:53 PM

Attached Link: Fairy tales can come true

..so beware little girl! Do you want to dream? do you want to wish? A daydream may be a nightmare, A secret wish may become a curse. How would you know little girl, Palace or a prison, Bat or a butterfly? Is the dragon friend or foe, Why does the owl look the other way?

Is dreaming wise or is it a vice ?

In this image  the shadows play as big a role as the items/creatures that cast them.
Just to highlight  a few points:

1. The girl seems somewhat startled and about to retreat from the tower, her shadow seems attracted to the tower, with her hand nearly grasping it.
  2. The dragon's interest is on the magical book page which it lights, but the shadow of his head is directed to towards one of the bat. The real dragon is fascinated by the good parts, his shadow notices the dangers.
    3.  The real and shadow world nearly merge when you look at the butterflies on the right, hard to tell what is real and what is a shadow.
    (see link for a bigger version)

"I paint that which comes from the imagination or from dreams, or from an unconscious drive. I photograph the things that I do not wish to paint, the things which already have an existence."
Man Ray, modernist painter
http://artpearl.redbubble.com/