Forum: Vue

Subject: Is Vue the most unstable software ever released?

Paloth opened this issue on Oct 28, 2008 · 53 posts

impish posted Tue, 28 October 2008 at 7:26 AM

I feel for everyone who has problems with Vue's stability as I had real problems with Vue 4 Pro.  It took some system updates,  fiddling with video driver settings and ditching another software package which I discovered was doing really nasty things on my PC in the background.  The final fix was moving the machine away from the wall to stop the CPU overheating.  Vue really pushed that system hard.  Vue 5 was a lot better and Vue 6 only crashes when I do stupid things - mostly with python scripts or trying to heap too many vastly oversized poser textures into a scene all at once. 

How did I get there?

I sent e-on issue reports and worked with them till it worked.  I'm sure they were sick of seeing another report from me.

It took time but it was worth it. 

One of the key things though is to make sure you send as much useful information as you can - system settings, the scene that broke Vue, step by step instructions on how to repeat the problem. 

The other key thing is to be nice when you send in the report - this is true for any software problem.  When software crashes its frustrating and its tempting to swear, make threats and be obnoxious because you can.  Shout it at the mirror but don't mail it - it won't get your issue sorted faster.  Some companies (in all fields) now just write off offensive customer issue reports as being from customers who are going to walk anyway so its a waste of time to fix.  Remember the person reading it at the other end has invested a significant chunk of their life into the software and cares about it at least as much as you do.

I hope you can work succesfully with e-on to solve the problems your having because once you get there its really worth every minute you spent on getting there.

impworks | vue news blog | twitter | pinterest