Forum: Vue

Subject: Vue7 closing in...

bruno021 opened this issue on Oct 17, 2008 · 85 posts

alexcoppo posted Mon, 03 November 2008 at 5:08 AM

Quote -
And all the coming soon info, I was it was coming soon :)

In the general software business, soon means in a few months. In the 3D apps business soon means in a couple of quarters (unless it is about Zbrush, then soon might mean in a few years...). For some 3D software houses (e.g. one located in Utah) soon means "may be this year"... if uttered in February.

On another forum I read a comment about the traditional E-On December sale; may be 7 will come out then, or, as I wrote in a posting sometimes ago in this forum, around March/April '09.

Terragen 2 has not even an announced final feature set, let alone release date (pardon, year).

POV-Ray 3.7 has reached 3.5 years of public beta (with no end in sight); apparently the work on the version 4 is still in the idle brainstorming phase.

B.t.w., if you want to read about people complaining, just go to DAZ forums: Studio got the rigging plugin which is just a candy w.r.t. the expected (since 2Q07) Optitex dynamic clothing engine. By reaction, Carrara users are fuming at the idea the Carrara7 is likely to have just some not-ground-breaking features (and keep old bugs) while Bryce users are starting again the "save Bryce campaign".

The are just a few positive notes in this really gloomy panorama:
1 ) apparently Caligari is still working on trueSpace (7.6 patch coming and officially acknowledged the existence of version 8);

1. in the SketchUp arena, books about SketchUp X and SketchUp Pro X (the fabled version 7) already announced for release on Amazon.com and similar sites (availability Dec 31);
  2. Silo people announced version 2.2 with Collada support;
  3. MoI and 3D Paint look very active;
  4. on Kerkythea website the main programmer stated that the next version will take Kerkythea where it has never been (and if you consider that this renderer has a kind of  "painted ecosystem"... this might mean something).

Bye!!!

GIMP 2.7.4, Inkscape 0.48, Genetica 3.6 Basic, FilterForge 3 Professional, Blender 2.61, SketchUp 8, PoserPro 2012, Vue 10 Infinite, World Machine 2.3, GeoControl 2