Forum: Vue

Subject: QuadCore and Vue7

vincebagna opened this issue on Nov 07, 2008 · 27 posts

jc posted Sat, 08 November 2008 at 12:07 PM

If it's an Intel processor, you can get a free replacement direct from them (if your dealer won't do it for you). Just go to "Intel.com > your country > products for work > support > processors" select your model number and find the online chat tool to get an RMA number. If memory serves, the Intel warranty is 5 years.

But you'll have to ship yours back first, and Intel will want the numbers off it (so you have to remove it from your system and wipe of the heat transmitting goop to see those - unless you kept the box. And there is one number that may not be on the box).

Whereas the dealer would prolly swap in a new one while you wait (or at any rate pretty fast). It's a maybe 20 minute job: Pull the cooler, open the mounting clip and remove the chip package, pop in the new chip package and close the clip, wipe off the old heat transmitting goop from the cooler, apply new goop to the cooler, replace the cooler, plug in the fan.

Most people don't realize how easy it is to assemble a Windows system, once you have a spec for a good set of parts.

BTW, I've been assembling PCs since 1976, and would be glad to share my Excel spreadsheet of components for the Intel system I assembled last month.