Forum: Bryce

Subject: Witness the superiority of Bryce - I dare you to hate this...

AgentSmith opened this issue on Jun 29, 2001 ยท 15 posts

AgentSmith posted Fri, 29 June 2001 at 8:08 PM

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. A Tutorial? Never did that, but I'm inches away from putting up my website, I can probably put something together later. But, this is still an ongoing experiment. But, to put simply; I started this project to learn how to make a very detailed (non-spiked) Symmetrical Lattice. I have yet to do that, but I did find that the Lattice (in this case) only has to suggest the final form, not define it. In this case the texture is taking the main brunt of the final render. I worked off a real low-res pic of a shield I found online and re-drew over it in Photoshop. I'm still learning Photoshop's brushes and settings, so that took 2 days. Overall, not hard just basically tracing and filling in, time consuming. The bump map was just an extension of the texture. Normally my bump maps were just the texture, grayscaled, with the brightness and contrast tweaked. This time I painted over the (grayscaled) texture pretty much making it just black and white. I then blurred the bump map here and there a little to keep the edges normal looking. I used a transperency map to eat away the square sides of the Lattice, making it round. Just clip the Lattice in the editor you say? The lattice was so dark, if I tried to clip it, the red backround bled into my shield...wouldn't work. With the Trans Map, I didn't have to try and get the shield round with the Lattice editor, less to worry about. Specularity and Diffusion Maps I won't really get into, since this is going to be a big post anyway. Below are some links that can explain them better than I can. Specularity - Makes whatever regions you specify look wet or shiny. Used in Poser models to make wet lips, eyes, tounge, etc. (I removed the specularity map for now, because I don't need specific parts to be shiny, the whole shield is reflective). Diffusion - Determines the amount of light that is reflected by the object's surface. ( A very subtle map to try and use, but can make objects seem more realistic when done right) I know how to make the final Symmetrical Lattice detailed, it's just gonna take time and practice within Photoshop, but knowing how and actually being able to do it, are two different things. Thanks again. Agent Smith *Example of Photorealistic fish model with examples of Texture, Diffusion, Transparency, Specularity, and Bump Maps. Example can be used in almost any 3D program, free maps. http://www.digitalproducer.com/pages/photorealistic_fish.htm *Great Bryce site with tutorial on Bump and Specularity, also freeware for Bryce and link to FREE tutorials on Maps by (3D Master) Bill Fleming! http://www.chesco.com/~cjcigas/tutorial/index.html

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"