Forum: Freestuff

Subject: Armor

darman42 opened this issue on Nov 25, 2008 · 17 posts

Morkonan posted Thu, 04 December 2008 at 9:02 PM

Quote - what program do you use to make stuff?

I, myself, try to use Wings3D, but its taking a lot of learning.

Right now, I'm using Hexagon.  It's sooo easy to use.  In the past, I've used others but Hex is quick and fairly effortless.  I can do pretty much anything in Hex for Poser.  Granted, there are much better modelling packages out there.  But, Hexagon is easy to use and cheap.  Blender, a free package, is probably the most powerful free 3d suite out there.  But, you'll gouge your eyes out with a grapefruit spoon when first trying to learn the menu subsytems... at least, I did.  I got better though...  But, even with more powerful packages, like 3DS, I couldn't be as quick as I can be with Hexagon.  In Hex, I can go from concept to a full finished simple outfit (normal clothing, any style) in a few hours.   For more complex bits, a couple of days.  The only thing that slows me down right now is texturing and mapping, which I am still learning how to do in Hex. (Mapping, at least)

Wings3D is fine but if you're really interested in 3D model creation, I'd suggest taking the time you're learning Wings3D and putting it into learning Blender.  Yes, it's much more complicated.  But, it IS free and has a HUGE support base.  No other free 3D package even comes close, IMO, to Blender.  It's better than Hexagon in some modelling aspects and it offers many things that Hex doesn't.  It's more of a full package but, it's just much more difficult to learn to use.