Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT: Please say a little prayer for my kitty

Conniekat8 opened this issue on Dec 20, 2008 · 909 posts

Conniekat8 posted Sat, 20 December 2008 at 10:08 PM

Quote - Ah Connie you're welcome.  So everything's gonna be OK,  then?

She's not out of the woods till Monday, but the Vet says she's responding good so far.  I was still balling and sniffling when he called - and he did a good job at reassuring me that yes, I will see her again, and with TLC, she's very likely to pull through.

I can't believe I didn't see her turning yellow sooner.  Over last few days she's been eating less and less, and sleeping more and more, but in a pretty subtle way. It's crossed my mind to take her in yesterday, but she didn't seem that sick.

This morning, she didn't get up for her food at all, didn't even take a good look at me offering it - so I knew something was really wrong. When I was at Vet's parking lot, the skin of her inner ears looked yellow - that's the first time I saw it. By how much of it there was, the Vet thinks it's been a day or two she had it already, and she wouldn't have made it much longer without treatment.

I can't believe I didn't notice it yesterday - I was checking her all over - twice, to see if her teeth or a respiratory infection aren't the cause of her eating very little. Yellowness doesn't exactly stand out on a black kitty with dark skin - but still, I dote on her, I can't believe I didn't see it sooner.

The doc says she most likely has Feline Hepatic Lipidosis - which is one of the more benign causes of jaundice - rather then other illnesses that can cause it. It happens when overweight cats stop eating (much) for a day or two, and their metabolisam pulls too much fat out of their cells, and overwhelms th liver. She may be developing diabetis. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_hepatic_lipidosis

I'm doing a lot better now, then when I initially posted. I was reading about feline jaundice, and it says that about 40% of the cats don't pull through.

So, the doc says that with her health history (which is pretty good, except for having gotten chubby in last couple of years) she should do just fine pulling out of jaundice. We still need to figure out why it happened, so it doesn't happen again.

We still need to figure out why she all of a sudden cut down on her eating so much. Usually it's a battle to keep her weight down. Even sick the way she was this morning, she wanted to eat, but the poor thing was acting to exhausted to chew or lap her milk.

Blah, I'm rambling, I hope what I wrote makes sense... I'm feeling shellshocked.

Edit: BTW, I do get panic attacks on occasion, and this definately triggered one - earlier, before I was reassured she'll pull through.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support