Forum: Vue

Subject: Is Vue 7 Pioneer too seriously hobbled to do anything meaningful?

ChrisV opened this issue on Dec 22, 2008 · 31 posts

pumeco posted Wed, 24 December 2008 at 12:18 PM

Quote - You seem to believe that "home use only" means that you cannot use Pioneer to create images for professional purposes. I don't think that's the case...

That's exactly what it means, he is right to believe that.

I too am a Brycer looking into playing with Vue, but this 'non-commercial' licence (if it continues after the beta) is indeed a problem, quite a biggie as well if you look into this modular system close enough.  The way it reads right now means that folk could buy every module available for Pioneer (and I think that's a lot of money for what it is), yet at the end of it all, they'd still be crippled by a 'non-commercial' licence - just because they built-up from Pioneer.

If e-on don't either drop the non-commercial licence from Pioneer, or at the very least, add commercial priviledges (as per Esprit and upwards) to those that have purchased the 3DImporter and RenderUp modules, then folk are in for a very nasty shock if they build-up their module collection from Pioneer, and later want to use it commercially.

No matter what way you look a it; at this moment in time you can not use Vue or it's modules commercially unless you start with Esprit or higher.  That's gonna make for a very nasty surprise for the poorer folk who've built-up from Pioneer I think.

E-on need to sort that one out big-time IMHO.  I was going to ask them about it or post on their forum, but I'd feel silly for doing so because I personally think it's a deliberate move on behalf of their marketing.

I'd love to be wrong (I hope to be wrong).