Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: IBL TIP - Instant "white balancing"

bagginsbill opened this issue on Jan 23, 2009 · 52 posts

bagginsbill posted Sat, 24 January 2009 at 7:56 AM

Quote - Remember, your vision is a highly evolved piece of organic machinery that adapts very easily and very quick to changing light conditions.  You percieve white as always white under any lighting; only when you take a photograph without white balancing do you actually see the true color condition of your scene.  And in the old days, photographic film did not lie.  You only manipulated post development to bring up, subtract or add back your colors.

Exactly right, and this is the reason I show you this tip.

Every time I've seen somebody use a big-sky IBL, unbalanced, the render looks so blue as to be ridiculous, and I mean that literally, as in it was worthy of ridicule. I feel sorry for people who lack that much perception that they produce a render that is wildly unrealistic, totally naively ignoring the facts of human perception.

Outdoor photographs are 99.9999% of the time white balanced to remove that blue cast, so that the photo resembles a human's perception of the lighting at that place, not the actual lighting at that place.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)