Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: How we are all treated here at Renderosity as Client, Sponsor, and Vendor

bobstuyck opened this issue on Jan 28, 2009 · 152 posts

Morkonan posted Wed, 28 January 2009 at 4:20 PM

Quote - Merchant resource kits are cheats!

I agree and disagree with that.

Use properly, they're excellent tools at helping an artist express themselves or create a really interesting and unique product.  But, if they're used as a crutch, they're a serious detriment and say virtually nothing about the producer's artistic merit and lend little to no unique value whatsoever to the product.

Changing a contrast setting is NOT creating "ART" our of a resource kit or adding significant value or uniqueness to it when used in another product.  The general idea I have on the subject is that if just "anyone" could take a Merchant Resource kit that I used and then easily do the same thing I did with it then I am doing something wrong and shouldn't expect anyone to buy my product.  (If I actually had something for sale, that is.)

Everyone should remember that when they are producing items, what they are trying to do is to give people new tools to express themselves and play with.  Sometimes, those tools can have artistic merit all by themselves.  Yet, they are NOT creating Art that people are supposed to worship and hang on their wall.  They're creating new and unique tools for OTHER people to use in their OWN artistic expressions.  Of course, there's the whole "Play" value as well.  If it's fun to play with ... like a huge howitzerblowuptank with ginormous treads piloted by giant sharks with lazers on their heads OMGZ! ... then, that's cool too. :)  After all, Poser is sometimes like Legos or Erector Sets for Adults - you don't care about "Art" you just want to have some fun!