Forum: Photography

Subject: What's wrong with this image?

lesbentley opened this issue on Feb 13, 2009 · 24 posts

inshaala posted Tue, 17 February 2009 at 2:14 PM

Quote -

And who am I as a rank beginner to make CRITICAL comments, as I only own a point and shoot and can't do HDR whatever that entails.

There is no reason for even a complete outsider to photography not to be able to make a critical comment.  Something like "i like the colours they make me feel warm inside" is a critical comment.  It shows the photographer what effect their choices in the photo have made on the viewer.  Saying "wow" doesnt inform why the "wow" happened and is thus not critical. 

A critical comment isnt always negative, but even when it is, the same is true: "i dont like the colours, they make me feel cold and i dont think it fits the image" is something anyone can appreciate.

BAsically an explanation of the response is a critical comment... that is all.  Then you can get into technical critical comments whereby the commenter offers a remedy:

"I dont like the colours they make me feel cold and i dont think it fits the image - have you tried processing this with an extra warming filter in postwork?"

:)

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography