Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Removing shadows

thekingtut opened this issue on Feb 18, 2009 · 16 posts

bagginsbill posted Sat, 21 February 2009 at 8:31 AM

The arithmetic behind what DPH suggested results in the same as what I suggested. However, the difference is in how many steps.

DPH said to set Diffuse_Color = BLACK and Diffuse_Value = 1. That's 0 times 1 which is 0.

I said to set Diffuse_Value = 0. Thats color * 0 which is 0.

See the difference? The result is zero either way, but setting the value is quicker than setting the color. I've seen people suggest this many times and I don't get why you go the long way around. The diffuse effect is the product (multiplication) of color and value. If either is 0, then result is 0.

When DPH said to set color to black and value to 1, that was redundant. Set color to black if you want, and at that point the value is totally irrelevent. There is no need to set it to 1 or any other value. Similarly, if you set the value to 0, there is no need to set the color to anything in particular.

Practically every time I tell somebody how to stop lighting effects on a background, somebody chimes in with setting the color to black and setting the value to some number other than 0, even though I just said how to do it using the number 0 alone and color doesn't matter.

Same thing with the next part. I said connect the image to Alternate_Diffuse. One step.

DPH said connect it to Ambient_Color, set that color to white, and set the Ambient_Value to 1. That's three steps that accomplish exactly the same thing.

DPH isn't the only one. Every time I say connect to the Alternate_Diffuse (one mouse drag), somebody chimes in with connect to the ambient, set the color, set the value (seven mouse clicks, plus some typing).

Why? Why do you people chime in with longer harder ways to do things?

Sigh.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)